Bacon “Warped” Grilled Asparagus
I am not sure exactly when I thought this was a good idea but its been years, I gather it is a popular dish now, but without any adult supervision, it has been delighting our diners for some time. This is one of my “go to” side dishes for special meals(i.e. Chateaubriand, etc.) I thought I might write it down.
2 lbs of medium sized asparagus spears, washed with tough ends removed
6 slices of thick smoked bacon
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp key lime juice
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat grill on high to 350 degrees.
- In a shallow dish or rimmed cookie sheet, drizzle olive oil and key lime juice over asparagus spears, roll spears to make sure they are coated completely.
- Season spears with salt and pepper to taste
- Divide into 6 groups of spears. Wrap each group in a piece of bacon and fasten with toothpicks to hold it all together.
- Place bundles on the hot grill and configure fo indirect cooking. Cook for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness of spears). Turn over bundles and cook for another 8-10 minutes. Watch closely for flare ups.
- Serve warm with main course.