A wonderfully warming wine beverage, that I first tasted roaming around Wienachtsmarts in and around Frankfurt Germany. Das est wunderschön !!
3/4 cup water ( or orange juice)
3/4 cup white sugar ( or less to taste)
1 cinnamon stick
10 whole cloves
1 (750 ml) bottles red wine
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Cut the orange in half, and squeeze the juice into the simmering water.
- Push the cloves into the outside of the orange peel, and place peel in the simmering water.
- Continue simmering for 30 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
- Pour in the wine, and heat until steaming but not simmering.
- Remove the clove-studded orange halves.
- Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break.).