15 Bean Soup
This week I found this massive bone in pork shoulder roast for less than half price so I ended up making 3 meals with it. This wonderful and easy bean soup was the last one. I like doing this in a slow cooker but you could do it on the stove top too
1 pkg HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP®
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced
1 ham or picnic bone with meat on it and/or add diced ham or pork or sausage ~1lbs
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken or veggie stock or broth
2 cups water
1 28oz can of stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup soy sauce, or more to taste and color
2 tsp Cholulo hot sauce
Juice from one Lemon (3-5 Tbs of juice)
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a colander or sieve, rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Drain and pour beans in a slow cooker with 8 cups of stock and 2 cups water, onions, garlic, carrots, and meat or ham bone. (Not tomato or lemon juice yet!). You can add more liquid to get the soup consistency that you like (thick stew like or more soupy).
- Stir to combine. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 5-7 hours then check to make sure beans are tender. The soup can continue to simmer for several hours and will develop more flavor over time.
- After the beans are tender, remove the ham bone (leave any ham in the pot) and bay leaves, squish and stir in the can of stewed tomatoes, the ham flavor packet that came with the beans, Cholulo sauce, soy sauce and the lemon juice.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve.
We recommend to serve with a freshly baked slice of corn bread! You can also serve over rice as well.
Please keep in mind that every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.