Cheesesteak Po Boy
I really do not think I have ever had a true no-fooling Philly Cheesesteak. According to the purest commentary that I have read, it is just thinly sliced ribeye, cheese wiz and a roll. Which in my opinion seems like a terrible waste of ribeye steak. Cheese Wiz!! Really!!!
This on is my own concoction that incorporates a lesser cut of meat, more spices and more flavor but it served on a hoagie bun and will give you a messy smile. Serves 4-6.
3 lbs thinly sliced flank or top round steak, thinly sliced length wise as well into 3- 5 in strips. (or thinly sliced Ribeye will work dandy too)
1-2 Pablano pepper, washed, seeded and sliced into thin strips
1 purple or yellow sweet onion thinly sliced
1/2 lbs of sliced provolone cheese
1 Tbs good olive oil
1 Tbs unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Blackening seasoning
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
1-2 Tbs of Cornstarch
4-6 fresh hoagie rolls split lengthwise
2-3 Roma Tomatoes sliced thin
NOLA Remoulade Sauce
Good Dill Pickles
Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the meat with Blackening Seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides before slicing.
- Heat oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 cloves garlic, onions, Pablano slices and cook until soft. Remove softened onion and pablano and set aside.
- Add sliced seasoned beef strips, kitchen bouquet and last clove of garlic.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the meat is not pink and stir in cornstarch to thicken gravy. (If you don’t want your Po Boys to have a tasty gravy, don’t add the cornstarch, just drain some of the juices and get on with your sad life 🙂
- Add onions and pablano and stir until combined. Add water or wine to thin if gravy gets too thick. Remove from heat
- Open hoagies and slightly toast, while meat is cooking.
- Apply Remoulade to both sides of buns.,
- On the bottom side, layer cheese slices the hot beef mixture, another slice of cheese, sliced tomatoes, lettuce leaves and top with top of bun and compress.
- Serve to hungry people with a spear of good dill pickle and napkins to accompany this messy Po Boy.