Chunky Mushroom Soup
I got these beautiful mushrooms at Costco (really way too many mushrooms). I made a dozen Escargot stuffed in the mushrooms and still had enough left over to make soup. The problem I had then was I didn’t like any of the soup recipes that I found. So I made up my own. I hope you will try both with and without the variation because both are good:)
This soup is hearty enough to serve on its own with some good bread, good friends and good wine.
Voodoo Roux (Its on the website and its good 🙂 )
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds of your favorite nice mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup red wine
4 cups chicken broth
1 leek – white part only cleaned, chopped medium chunky
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried thyme
VARIATION: 1 lbs of good hot Italian sausage
1. Make a half order of voodoo roux. Set aside. VARIATION: Brown sausage in separate pot, drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 5-6 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in leek and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in wine and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream and thyme.
5. If variation, is selected, add browned spicy Italian sausage now.
6. Add Voodoo Roux until desired consistency is reached.
7. Serve hot in big bowls and bask in the glory of joyful taste buds.