Grilling chicken can be tricky. But if done right, its a wonderful dish. We pretty much have converted to boneless skinless breasts. When my Walmart substituted these cuts in our order, I figured I would go for it this time.
3 lbs Thighs, Wings & Legs
3 Tbs Key Lime Juice
~1 tsp thyme
~1 tsp oregano
6 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp Tajin spice
4 garlic cloves, minced
Favorite barbecue sauce
- Assemble all ingredients except chicken and barbecue sauce in a bowl and mix well.
- Place chicken pieces in a gallon sealable bag and add marinade. Seal the bag and manipulate the chicken so that is completely coated in marinade. Place the bag of chicken in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to high. When it reaches high, turn off two burners and place the chicken on that “cool” side of the grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Reverse the burner set up so that the chicken is never over direct flame. Move the chicken to the hot side of the grill and turn it over. The initial heat will sear without burning.
- Cook for another ~8 minutes and reverse again and brush on your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Reverse the configuration one more time and apply sauce to the other side of the chicken.
- The chicken should get a nice glaze char going but keep checking the internet temperature until it reaches 165 degrees. If the chicken is getting too charred, reduce the temp to 250-300 in the grill. Every grill is different so you might have to adjust the times and temps for your chicken as you go. Some enjoy brushing the chicken with sauce just before it comes off the grill giving everyone messy fingers.