Mexican Baked Eggs
I saw what I thought was a rather bland but healthy recipe for something like this somewhere. I liked the premise but it needed help. So here is my version. There is no reason you couldn’t make this ahead of time (without baking the eggs) and put in to bake the eggs, melt the cheese and reheat the mixture just before you are ready to eat.
6 large eggs
1 Tbs oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 large pablano pepper, diced
1/2 cup of tamed jalapeño peppers, diced
1 14oz can of low or no sodium black beens, drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can of Rosarita No Fat Refried Beans with Green Chile and Lime
1 10oz can of Rotel Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes, Lime Cilantro Green Chili
2 cloves of minced garlic 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder (adjust by your heat level preference)
1 16 oz bag of shredded cheddar (or dairy free equivalent)
Salt substitute and Coarse ground pepper to taste
Flour Tortillas, salsa, sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oil to a large frying pan and heat till almost smoking. Add onions and pablanos and sauté until softened. Stir in garlic for one minute, then add jalapeños, black beans cumin and chill powder. Stir in refried beans and Rotel gently mix thoroughly. Simmer to allow flavors to mingle and mix ~5 minutes).
- While the mixture is simmering, spray a casserole dish with cooking spray of your choice.
- Add 1/2 the mixture into the casserole dish followed by 1/2 of the cheese. Level the layer with a spoon.
- Add remaining mixture into the dish, followed by the remaining cheese. Level and create 6 “cups” in the surface with a large spoon. Add an egg to each cup. Add salt Substitute and coarse pepper to taste.
- Place in the middle rack of the preheated oven and cook for ~10 minutes or until eggs are done (to your taste) and all the cheese has meted.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with fresh warm flour tortillas, salsa and sour cream on the side, and a nice salad.