Working full-time and raising two ravenous boys, this was one of her go-to side dishes. Dinner would be a big meatloaf and 2 boxes of Betty Crocker’s Noodles Romanoff. She would put it on the table and the feeding frenzy began. It was so good! Betty stopped but my enjoyment of this dish has not. Of course, I had to tweak the recipe a bit.
1lbs. noodles of your choice
1/4 cup +2 Tbs butter or substitute
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
4 oz cream cheese, cubed and softened
8 oz heavy cream*
1 cup sharp cheddar (pepper jack, swiss, ptarmigan or a mix) cheese, grated
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp Tajin spice
8 oz sliced mushrooms, sautéd in white wine(1/4 cup)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 scallions, finely sliced
Sprinkled Smoked Paprika
- Prepare the noodles as directed on the package. Don’t start the sauce until the noodles are already in the water. Saute’ mushrooms in 2Tbs of butter and white wine till soft
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the minced garlic to the saucepan. Sauté the garlic until it swells and the mixture thickens a bit. This should only take about 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper and Tajn spice.
- Once combined, stir in the cream cheese until everything is melty and well incorporated.
- Stir in the heavy cream until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the cream sauce. Continue stirring until everything is completely melted and the sauce is smooth. (It should be relatively thick and velvety at this point.)
- Stir in the sour cream until it’s incorporated into the sauce.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta noodles. Return them to the pan they were cooked in. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and stir until the noodles are all coated. * Add water or more heavy cream to get the consistency you might prefer,
- Serve hot and sprinkle scallions and smoked paprika on top prior to serving.