Spicy Adobo Beef Tacos
This dish is not for Wussies! Not Sorry! It has some heat but a lot of flavor too.
1 4oz package of dried Ancho Chillies)
1 2-3 lbs. Beef chuck roast, remove fat and grizzle and cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1 Bell pepper (red or green), rough chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, diced, divided
1 fresh Jalapeño chili, seeded and diced
1/2 tsp Cheyenne pepper
1/2 tsp Adobo spice
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 red onion diced, divided
2 can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Kosher salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup Queso Blanco cheese
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1 cup Pico de Gallo
1 cup sour cream
1 avocado or 1 cup guacamole
1/2 cup finely chopped Cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack set for lower middle roasting
- Place Acho chilis in warm water and let soak for 20 min. to 1/2 hour. Reserve 1 cup of soaking liquid.
- Place large (7+ Quart) dutch over over medium heat heat oil till shimmering, add cubed beef, onions( reserve aside some onion for topping taco), Bell Peppers and garlic. Cook until beef lightly browned and onion and peppers are softened. Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Add Cheyenne pepper, adobo spice and oregano.
- Remove stems and seeds from, Ancho chill and rough chop. Add to Blender.
- Add diced Jalapeño, chipotle, tomatoes (reserve 1 cup for taco assembly) and adobo sauce and reserve soaking liquid to blender. Blend until smooth then mix into beef mixture.
- Cover dutch over and cook taco filling mixture for ~55-60 minutes.
- Remove Dutch Oven and transfer taco filing mixture to a bowl.
- Toast tortillas on a griddle until the have some color on both sides but not stiff.
- Set up a taco assembly line, Tortillas, beef, pico da gallo, cheeses, sour cream, avocado or guacamole, tomatoes and cilantro or any combination.
Serve with white rice and black beans.