Sweet Potato Banana Magic
A lady in my class and I were chatting about our respective Thanksgiving dinners and she mentioned this dish. It sounded crazy to me .. just crazy enough to be wonderful. There are a lot of variable options here; ..Boil or microwave the potatoes; After you slice potatoes and bananas you can alternate them in the slices in the pan or you can puree then together . but its all good!
6 large sweet potatoes
3 medium sized banana
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 Tbs butter (salted or unsalted)
1 cup pecans
5 Tbs packed brown sugar or brown Splenda
- Cook the potatoes – Microwave (Prick sweet potatoes several times with a fork; Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 5+ minutes or until a knife can easily go right through) or Boil the whole potato.
- Allow to cool and remove sweet potato flesh from the skins; Discard skins or add to compost bin
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a food processor, add cooked sweet potato, banana, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt Pulse until smooth. (or line the baking dish with alternating potato, banana slices)
- Spoon filling into 4 ramekins or into a small 8×8 baking dish
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter, and mix in pecans and brown sugar.
- When the butter/brown sugar mixture has coated the pecans, remove from heat
- Pour on top of the sweet potato mix.
- On the middle rack, bake for 15 minutes if using ramekins, 20-25 minutes if using a larger baking dish. The dish is done when the top starts to brown