October12th, 2017 – New Vocabulary Words
Match the word to its definition and note the number and letter for each of your selections. When you have matched all 10 words to the correct definition letters, compare your selections to the key at the bottom of the page.
The key is at the bottom of the page but don’t look till you finish!
The Definition Choices:
A. a lack of pleasure or the capacity to experience it
B. a person of great and varied learning.
C. a crude log raft
D. any plant in the gourd family
E. stones that had been polished into smooth facets by blowing grit
F. a small round helmet
G a small mountain, hill or mound; a subordinate volcanic cone
H. a rams horn used as a wind instrument, mainly for war from biblical times.
I. a sentence or verse that includes all the letters in the alphabet
J. a sleight-of-hand swindling game in which the operator palms the pellet or pea while appearing to cover it with one of the 3 cups
- G (i.e. When she breathed, her monticule bust rose and fell distractingly. )
- D (i,e. Carving a large orange cucurbit with a nine year old was not the evening he had planned.)
- J (i.e. Talking with Joseph was much like watching a thimblerig. )
- A (i.e. His incessant sour disposition appears to be anhedonia .)
- I (i.e. “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog,” is a famous pangram, dating from 1885.)
- B (i.e. Those around him considered him a polyhistor of some magnitude.)
- H (i.e. He was honored to blow the ceremonial shofar. )
- E (i.e. Our sectional gathered in the atrium.)
- C (i,e. After the roll down the hill, his beautiful new car looked like a jangada as it entered the river below.)
- F (i.e Instead of the protective headgear required for safety, he wore a mere sallet to satisfy the legal obligation of this state and suffered for his vanity in the accident.)