January 31st, 2019 – New Vocabulary Words
The key is at the bottom of the page… but don’t cheat
A. a yellow luminosity near the horizon caused by the reflection of light from sea ice.
B. any complex structure containing an intricate network of parts
C. a full-length, sleeveless outer garment worn by Arabs
D. of or relating to redemptive power
E. a new or modern writer, thinker, etc
F. a fit of rage or hysterics
G. a figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole or whole for a part
H. anything believed to provide protection or safety
I. cunning or sly
J. a written work composed of words chosen to avoid the use of one or more specific alphabetic characters.
1. G (i,e. His use synecdoches makes understanding him difficult.)
2. B (i.e. We just part of a vast plexus of support capabilities.)
3. J (i.e. Our contest was who could write a 500 word lipogram avoiding “s” and “t”.)
4. A (i.e. Her hair was the color of an iceblink at sunset.)
5. I (i.e. He is as pawky as a fox in the woods. )
6. D (i.e. He felt reborn after the accident,filled with salvific confidence.)
7. H (i.e. She was always fingering her neckless, as if it were a palladium that protected.)
8. E (i.e. His paper appeared on the scene like a positive wind, making him a true neoteric.)
9. C (i,e. His abaya completed the outfit with a deep golden color.)
10. F (i.e.) When she heard the news, she threw a conniption fit that could be heard a block away.