Quiche, Shaken Not Stirred
I found a recipe for Quiche Lorraine about 100 years ago and tried it out. I liked it and in the process learned that you can make this fancy egg pie about anyway you like. My preferences run towards good sharp cheddar, onions, mushrooms, ham, spinach or green pepper or hot peppers or all of the above. Every time I make it is different but always good. I serve it hot with a generous dollop of sour cream and all of your favorite hot sauce you care to sample This recipes makes 2 pies.
2 Frozen ready made 9in Deep Dish pie crusts
1 8 oz block of sharp cheddar, swiss, gruyerre cheese or pepper jack??
1/2 cup rough chopped mushrooms
1/3 cup roughly chopped onion
1/3 cup roughly chopped peppers – green, pablano or others?
1 can of Evaporated Milk
1 cup ham cubes, or left over chicken, beef or pork
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the pie crusts on a cookie sheet.
- Whisk eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper until smooth and set aside
- Chop veggies, cheese and meats
- Distribute veggies, cheese and meats between the two pie crusts
- Pour egg mixture equally over each pie, covering the veggies and meats.
- Bake pies in oven for 45-50 minutes. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Serve slices with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled chives over the top.