Beef & Bean Stir Fry
Every once and awhile. i just have to talk my wok out and get busy. I have always enjoyed this dish whenever I ordered it in a Chinese restaurant but never made it at home. It was really good according to the household at large! This fed all 5 of us well.
4 Tbs sugar or sugar substitute or honey
6 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs fresh lime juice or key lime juice
1 Tbs dried crushed red pepper (adjust to your tastes)
8 tsp minced garlic
4 Tbs peanut oil, divided
1 lbs beef (skirt, sirloin or bottom round steak), thinly sliced across the grain
8 oz fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 8oz can of bamboo shoots, drained
1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-wide strips
2 tsp cornstarch
2 cups jasmine rice
- Make the marinade by combining the first 5 ingredients then gradually whisking in 3 Tbs. oil;
- Transfer to a large zip-top a large bowl and add beef. Cover and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Transfer steak to a wok, reserving marinade. Stir-fry steak in 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat until browned (~1-2 minutes).
- Remove steak and set aside.
- Add beans, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bell peppers and scallions to wok and stir fry until beans are still crisp but softened (~5-10).
- Whisk cornstarch into reserved marinade.
- Stir cornstarch marinade mixture into stir frying vegetables and stir-fry until sauce thickens (~30 seconds).
- Stir steak into stir-fry to integrate the vegetables, sauce and warm the beef through.
- Remove from heat, and serve over jasmine rice.