Beef Pepper Stir Fry
This is a simple but very tasty stir fry. It calls for relatively inexpensive cuts of beef that you prepare such that the texture is that of a cut that costs much more. It provides directions cooking the dish in a large non-stick frying pan if you don’t have a wok.
1/4 cup + 1T Water
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 pound Sirloin Or Flank Steak ; trimmed, cut into 2- to 2 ½-inch strips with grain, each strip cut crosswise against grain into ¼-inch-thick slices
3 Tbs Soy sauce + 1 tsp just before serving
3 Tis dry sherry or Chinese Rice Wine or Japanese Mirin wine
3 tsp Cornstarch
2 1/2 tsp Light brown sugar
1 Tbs Oyster Sauce
2 tsp Rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Toasted sesame oil
2 tsp Pepper ; Coarsely Ground
1 Red bell pepper ; stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch-wide strips
1 Green bell pepper ; stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch-wide strips
6 Scallions; divide into whites and greens; cut greens into 1 inch pieces and slice whites into thin diagonals
3 Garlic cloves ; minced
1 Tbs Fresh ginger; grated
2 tsp Key Lime Juice
- Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook. Stir Frying goes quickly.,
- Combine water and baking soda in medium bowl. Add beef and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before adding marinade
- Make beef marinade. Whisk 1 Tbs soy sauce, 1 Tbs wine. 1½ tsp cornstarch, and ½ tsp sugar together in small bowl. Add soy sauce mixture to beef, stir to coat, and let sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before cooking.
- Whisk remaining ¼ cup water, remaining 2 Tbs soy sauce, remaining 2 Tbs wine, remaining 1½ tsp cornstarch, remaining 2 tsp sugar, oyster sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper together in a second bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer. Cook without stirring for 1 minute. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until spotty brown on both sides, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining beef and 2 tsp vegetable oil.
- Return skillet to high heat, add 2 tsp vegetable oil, and heat until beginning to smoke. Add bell peppers and scallion greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are spotty brown and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl with beef.
- Return now-empty skillet to medium-high heat and add remaining 4 tsp vegetable oil, scallion whites, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Return beef and vegetables to skillet and stir to combine
- Whisk sauce to recombine. Add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, reheating the mixture until sauce has thickened, about 30-45 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the Key Lime and single tsp of Soy sauce. Serve immediately with jasmine rice.