Biscuits & Gravy Alternative
I have always loved biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Trying to be more heart-healthy really challenges the wisdom of enjoying this old-fashioned Southern comfort food. But I came up with this alternative and I think it’s almost as good. This dish never going to be a health food but this recipe gives you the probiotics of the sourdough (without the hefty sodium load of “real” biscuits), reduced sodium in the sausage, and still manages some flavor.
8 slices of Whole Wheat Sourdough bread, toasted
4 Tbs of butter or butter substitute
1 1lbs. Turkey Breakfast Sausage
1/3 cup flour
2-3 cups unsweetened almond, coconut. soy or oat milk (desired consistency)
1 tsp low sodium Tajin Seasoning
Salt substitute and course ground pepper to taste
Cholula sauce for serving
- Toast Sourdough slices.
- Using your best-seasoned cast iron skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Break up into small pieces and brown (~ 5 minutes)
- Add Tajin spice and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle about half the flour over the sausage and stir. Adding more little by little till it is absorbed (~ 1 minute)
- Pour in milk slowly stirring constantly. Keep stirring and adding milk until you get on the soupy side of the desired consistency. Cook and stir for about 8-10 minutes..
- Taste and add salt substitute and coarse ground pepper to taste.
- Butter toasted sourdough slices (2 per serving) and ladle gravy over them completely.
- You can, if you like, plop your favorite egg(s) on top and serve with Cholula sauce in case someone wants more heat.