I learned how to make this as a boy working in the kitchen of the Golden Ram on Coral Way in Miami. I had always loved Ceasars Salads but we only had them at restaurants on special occasions. If it was on the menu I ordered it as long as i can remember. This dressing should be made and served at the time of the meal.
2 cloves garlic, pressed
3 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
1 large egg yolk ( temper the egg in boiling water for 50 seconds)
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
¼ tsp cracked black pepper, or more to taste
2 handfuls of home made croutons
3 hearts romaine – washed, chopped, and chilled
- Prepare ingredients in advance.
- Place garlic, anchovies, and salt in a large salad serving bowl; press the mixture with a fork until a paste forms.
- Stir in egg yolk, lemon juice, Dijon, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil until all is incorporated and mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- When ready to serve, add lettuce and 1/2 of the croutons to the bowl with the remaining dressing; toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle salad with additional Parmesan and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.