This one started out with one of Sam The Cooking Guy recipes that I found about 2005 or so. (www.samthecookingguy.com) That guy is really a great cook! It was so simple, so delicious and tasty that I was able to make it in a hotel room and impress the hell out of everyone at the pot luck dinner. I made it the way Sam intended about 1 time and then I started adding my own stuff to it so now, I am not sure Sam would recognize it. But I like to think he would ask for a second bowl. It is really good. I like to serve it with fresh, hot, sweet corn infused cornbread with butter. Yum!
1 Rotisserie Chicken from the grocery store
1 Sweet Yellow Onion – chunked
1 can Pinto Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can Great Northern Beans
1 4-6 oz can diced green chillies
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans
48 oz of chicken broth
3 Tbs unsalted butter
.5 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- Allow the Grocery Store Chicken to cool. Remove chicken meat and discard the skin and bones. Chunk the chicken meat.
- In a large pot on medium heat, sweat the onions, garlic in the butter until the onions are clear.
- De-can and drain all the beans in a colander and rinse completely
- Add beans, oregano, cumin, cayenne to pot and cover with chicken stock.
- Stir well and bring to a brisk simmer. Add water to get to your favorite consistency.
- Taste and add salt and/or pepper to taste
- Remove from heat and serve in large bowls with large spoons
Don’t forget the Cornbread!!!