I love Chili Rellenos!! I often use this dish to judge a new Mexican restaurant I am trying for the first time. If it comes out with a tough thick gummy or rubbery covering and just a bunch of cheese in the middle, I will not be visiting that place again. However if it comes out with no or a light tasty crust with a worthy stuffing, I will come back again and again. Deep down I do not think this dish needs and fried component. This version does not and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
6-8 Large Pablano chilis
3 cloves minced garlic
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes diced
2 Serrano chilis, seeds removed and sliced
6-8 Tomatillo , husked, rinsed and diced
1 tbs o2 15oz package of Chorizo – 1 Pork and 1 Beeff olive oil
2 15oz package of Chorizo – 1 Pork and 1 Beef
3 Tbs of fresh Cilantro chopped
1 tsp each – Oregano and Cumin
5 oz Queso Blanco, crumbled
5 oz Oaxaca cheese, ropes as long as chilis
12 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Scorch and burn the skins of all the Pablano chilis. You can do this right on your gas stove burner or grill but char all sides of the pepper. Place charred chilis in a paper bag to cool. When cool peel skin off, slice long ways and remove all seeds. Set aside in a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Once hot, add onion serranos and garlic.
- Once onion is clear and garlic fragrant, add tomatillos, tomatoes, oregano and cumin.
- Add chorizo, cilantro and mix well with veggies. Reduce heat and cook until stuffing is pretty smooth.
- In each chili in the baking pan, stuff with 2 Tbs of Cheddar cheese, 3-5 Tbs of stuffing mix (depending upon size of chili)and repeat until all chilis are stuffed. Distribute any remaining stuffing and cheddar over the tops of the chilis evenly.
- Sprinkle crumbled Queso Blanco over the chilis. Place 1-2 split ropes of Oaxaca cheese over each chili from tip to crown.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Using a spatula separate and plate chili with some rice and black beans on the side.