I finally got tired of that crappy little blue box cornbread and looked for an easy homemade alternative. We try to do dairy free because of allergies in our house and this cornbread worked good with the dairy alternatives
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
⅔ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
3 ½ tsp baking powder
⅓ cup neutral oil or melted butter
1 large egg
1 cup milk (almond milk works fine)
1 small can sweet creamed corn
1/2 cup tamed jalapeños (divided..half in the pie there other half on the surface)
- Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet well and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine well.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add your oil or butter, milk, and egg. Stir just until the mixture comes together and there are only a few lumps remaining. Then gently mix in the creamed corn and half the jalapeños (diced).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread remaining jalapeños decoratively on the surface and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is a deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with a big old bowl of your favorite chili.