Creamy Cheesy Garlic Mushrooms
This one is something that a friend of my son’s passed along to me and It just sounded wonderful! This is not the first thing that he has shared that I found irresistible. I know I had you at “bacon”!
8 ounces (250 g) bacon, cut into small pieces
2 Tbs butter
26 ounces (750 g) brown mushrooms, washed (pat dry with paper towel)
1 Tbs olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth/stock)
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 1/2 cups (400 ml) heavy cream, (thickened cream or evaporated milk)
1 Tbs fresh chopped basil
1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
1/2 tsp Tajin spice
Salt and pepper to season
1/2 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Fry the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the oil. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, drizzle with oil and mix through, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes to lightly brown mushrooms and release their juices (if any).
- Pour in the wine (or broth) and let reduce for 2 minutes, while occasionally stirring. (Preheat broiler or oven grill.)
- Add in the garlic and stir it through for a minute, until fragrant. Pour in the cream and herbs. Reduce heat down to low. Gently simmer until tender (about 4-5 minutes) and sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon back in and give everything a good mix to combine all of the flavours together. Top the mushrooms with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly and mushrooms are done to your liking (about 3-5 minutes).