Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
I was making Tandoori Chicken and searching for a nice side dish and I stumbled across this amazing recipe, Of course, I had to tweak it a bit. For you lactose intolerant folks, just leave off the creamy part, it’s a fine roasted tomato soup. It’s not l listed here but my grandma used to add sweet cream to her tomato soup… just sayin…
8 -10 good sized heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1 sweet onion, quartered
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 cup coconut milk, nut/seed milk, or whole milk, plus more to thin as needed
1/3 cup basil pesto, home made or Costco Pestos Rocks!
parmesan, for serving (optional)
kosher salt and coarse ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, combine the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes or until the tomatoes just begin to char and release their juices. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the roasted tomatoes and their juices to a blender and add the milk. Puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and place over medium heat on the stove.
- Stir in the pesto and season the soup with salt and pepper. Thin with more milk if desired.
Ladle the soup among bowls and top each with parmesan and basil. Serve with your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.