Fresh Chili Rellenos
A friend of my daughter subscribes to the Hello Fresh service and sometimes when my daughter doggy sits for her, she has tried a few of thier meals. I liked this one for a couple of reasons – first, it doesn’t include the breading; nor do you have to really roast the Pabalanos before you cook the dinner and lastly I really am a huge fan of Pablano peppers. I tweaked it a bit to make it work for 4-6 people and made my own (Emeril’s recipe) Southwestern Spices. It turned out great!
6 Pablano pepper, washed, dried, split long ways, seeded, and stemmed
2 cups of Jasmine Rice
2 Serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and diced fine (adjust to your particular level of “woosieness”)
1 red or yellow onion, diced
3 Rome Tomatoes diced
2 to 3 garlic cloves minced or chopped
1 lime, zested and cut into slices
1/3 cup of Stock, Veggie, Chicken or Beef
2 Tbs Southwestern Spice
1 Tbs Key Lime Juice
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 Tbs unsalted butter
8 Tbs Sour Cream.
1 Avocado, diced
4 Tbs fresh Cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped fine
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rice in a rice cooker.
- Layout peppers on a rimmed cookie sheet, drizzle olive oil over peppers, and salt and pepper. Place on the middle shelf, and bake until softened. ~15 minutes. Turn the Oven to Broil.
- Heat remaining oil, in a large skillet on medium heat until simmers, add tomatoes, onions, garlic, and Serrano. Stir until onions are softened and starting to brown. Add broth and stir.
- If rice is done, proceed to step 5, if it is not done yet, turn off the heat until the rice finishes, then return heat to medium.
- Incorporate rice into a tomato, and onion mix in a skillet add butter, Southwestern spice, and salt and pepper to taste. Thoroughly mix the rice in.
- Spoon rice mixture into each half pepper until all are filled. Place any remaining in an oven-proof bowl.
- Prepare crema. Mix sour cream, lime zest, and 2 Tbs of water in a small bowl and set aside,.
- Cover each stuffed Pablano half with Monterey Jack cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts and browns at he edges (~2 or 3 minutes). Garnish each pepper with, crema, diced avocado, your favorite salsa, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of Key Lime Juice.