Fried Chicken Sandwiches
I found this recipe watching Simply Ming on PBS. I was intrigued by the “brine” used because it was mostly buttermilk, kimchi and spices 🙂 Naturally, I did my own tweaking but I think it is tasty.
I was able to find the Kimchi Paste and Korean Pepper flakes on Amazon.
Kimchi Buttermilk Brine:
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs black pepper
3 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs dried oregano
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 quart buttermilk
2 tbs salt
4 tsp jar kimchi base* (if you can’t find this, you can puree kimchi)
2 tbs kimchi chopped or blended
2 pounds chicken thighs, skin on, boneless
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
8 tbs corn starch
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
1 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
pinch cayenne pepper
2 t tbs salt
1⁄4 cup Korean chili flake
2 tbs black sesame seed
2 tbs toasted sesame
1/2 cup Chipotle Ranch Dressing
1/2 cup mayo
Roasted Red peppers.
4-6 Ciabatta rolls, split. and toasted
- Portion and pound the chicken into 3oz size pieces.
- Mix everything for the brine together and place the chicken into the brine and allow to sit overnight in the refrigerator covered.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the fried chicken flour mixture.
- Preheat a the oil in your pan or your fryer to 350F.
- One at a time remove the chicken and allow the excess brine to drip off. Press the chicken into the flour mixture.
- Add each piece of chicken to the fryer, one at a time and allow to fry for 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. Remove and let drain on a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towel. Season with kosher salt while still hot.
- While the chicken is frying, prepare sandwiches.
- Split and toast rolls
- Mix and apply chipotle/mayo sauce on both sides of toasted rolls and add roasted red pepper and lettuce to bottom
- Add fried chicken and serve with cole slaw, macaroni or potatoes salad.