Fruit Tarte Tatin
I saw this Jamie Oliver’s new 5 ingredient CreateTV cooking show and thought it looked and sounded good. The recipe calls for plums but peaches, bananas, pears or fresh apricots would all work just as well. What he does win the time he has with those simple ingredients is impressive! Title of his latest cook book, “5 Ingredients – Quick and Easy Food”. I watched the show a couple of times and his enthusiasm is infectious!
~1.5 lbs ripe mixed-color plums
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup
11.5 oz sheet of all-butter puff pastry
6 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup toasted hazel nuts, pecans or almonds; divided
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place a non-stick ovenproof frying pan on a medium heat.
- Remove the plums’ pits, add to the pan with 2 Tbs of water, and cook for 1 minute.
- From a height, sprinkle half the cinnamon, then evenly pour over the maple syrup.
- Sprinkle half of the selected nuts over plum mixture,
- Place the pastry over the plums, using a wooden spoon to push it into the edges of the pan, and trimming off any excess to patch up little gaps, if needed.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 16 minutes, or until golden and puffed up.
- Making sure you use oven gloves to protect your hands, confidently and very carefully turn the tarte out on to a plate bigger than the pan.
- Dish up with nice round scoops of ice cream, sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and nuts and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil before serving.