Funky Mac & Cheese
Desperate times call for desperate measures! If ever a time needed a funky Mac and Cheese, it is now. There are about a million variations you can go with dish. One that I am pretty fond of is to add cooked bacon pieces then sauté diced Pablano Peppers cooked in the bacon drippings. Drain both on a paper towel and sprinkle over the top of the dish before you add the panko. Yum!
1 lbs pasta, shells, macaroni, etc, (pretty much any pasta noodles will do except lasagna)
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
2 cups cold milk
3/4 lbs grated colby jack cheese
1/4 lbs shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup white wine
~1/2 cup of Panko
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions- in salted water with a tsp of oil on top to keep it from sticking. Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a thick paste. Then slowly add the cold milk and Dijon mustard, and whisk the wine in these ingredients until they’re combined.
- Move shelves in oven that one is 6 inches below the broiler. Turn broiler on high.
- Next, add the grated cheeses into the white sauce.
- Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce and fold it all into a big cast iron skillet or a baking dish or if you want to be very cute, individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle panko and real grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Place baking dish under broiler for ~3 minutes. I watch it and take it out when the top is crispy to my liking.
- Serve hot