Grandpa’s Chicken Pot Pie
I honestly have no idea what happened. I just got a hankerin’ for some real good old ‘Merican Chicken Pot Pie and I happened to have four breasts defrosted. Wee Ha! This will feed 6 hungry folks real good.
4 nice sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning
4 nice sized carrots peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup unsalted buttler
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tspTrader Joe’s Lime and Chili seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash breasts and pat dry. Season breasts on all sized with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add oil to a cast iron skillet and heat till it almost smokes. Fry chicken on each side, turning when it releases keep turning until chicken in cooked through and has a nice crust. Let chicken cool and dice into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside. Save chicken drippings in pan.
- Add butter to skillet on medium heat. Stir and scrape all chicken juices and bits into the butter as it melts. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and keep stirring and cooking till a golden paste forms in the pan. Slowly stir in chicken broth or stock. Once the filling sauce is mixed well add milk and salt and pepper to taste. Set Aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bisquick, eggs and milk. Whisk until batter is smooth.Set aside
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Boil fresh carrots until tender and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish with peas and corn.
- Assemble your pie. Add diced chicken pieces to veggies and stir gently distributing all ingredients over entire pan even;y. Pour filling sauce over ingredients evenly.
- Shake pan from side to side to eliminate air bubbles. Sprinkle garlic salt and Trader Joes Lime and Chill seasoning over top of mixture. Pour crust batter over the entire pie evenly.
- Place on the center shelf in a preheated oven and cook for 30-45 minutes. The crust will be a golden brown color with the filling bubbling at the edges, when done.
I like to serve this with a nice salad.