Grandpa’s Pecan Brittle
This was another Christmas gift idea for 2020. The first time I did it, it never got brittle:( But then I got a candy thermometer and VIOLA! A tasty and very brittle brittle appeared. If you like pecans, this is a sweet, simple and fast way to make it happen.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup chopped Fisher® Pecan Halves
2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 Tbs coffee liquor of your choice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add in pecans, stirring until combined.
- Place a candy thermometer into the mixture and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300°F.
- Immediately remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir in butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet. Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture into rectangle about 14×12 inches.
- Cool completely.
- Snap candy into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature