Grandpa’s Stuffed Pablanos
Don’t tell all of the others, but Pablano peppers have been my favorites for a long time. They are so flavorful and stuff-able I just had to take a shot at it. Combine with some of my other favorite ingredients a lot can go right!
5-7 good sized stuff able poblanos, washed
8 oz pepper jack cheese, cut into small cubes
8 oz sharp cheddar, cut into small cubes
8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
6-8 slices smoked bacon, crispy and finely chopped (or 8 oz Off the bone deli ham slices)
1/4 cup tamed jalapeño peppers, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
2 slices of smoked bacon, crispy and chopped
1 Tbs of good olive oil
- Slice washed poblanos open leaving tops and remove seeds and ribs. Wipe peppers with oil; preheat oven to oven to 400ºF.
- Mix bacon, jalapeños, onion and bacon together in a small bowl with a ~1/4 cup shredded cheddar. (if you are using ham, Wrap the pepper jack and some cheddar in a single slice of ham for each pepper and set aside)
- Stuff each pepper with a cheese cubes and pack with the jalapeño/onion/bacon/cheddar mix all around it. Cover with more cheddar cheese on top
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place stuff peppers spaced around the sheet.
- Place on a center rack in the preheated oven for 45; The peppers should be wilted and cheese melted. If you want crispy tops, turn on broiler for just few minutes but watch it carefully.
- Remove from oven and sever immediately.