Grandpa’s Stuffed Poblanos
Don’t tell all of the others, but Pablano peppers have been my favorites for a long time. They are so flavorful and stuffable I just had to take a shot at it. Combine with some of my other favorite ingredients a lot can go right!
5-7 good sized stuff able poblanos, washed
8 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
6-8 slices smoked bacon, crispy and finely chopped (or 8 oz Off-the-bone deli ham diced)
1/4 cup tamed jalapeño peppers, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1 can of low-fat refried beans with green chilis and lime
1 Tbs of good olive oil
- Slice washed poblanos open leaving tops and remove seeds and ribs. Wipe peppers with oil; preheat oven to oven to 400ºF.
- Mix bacon, jalapeños, onion, beans and bacon or ham together in a small bowl with a ~1/4 cup shredded chedda and 1/4 cup pepper jack
- Stuff each pepper with the jalapeño/onion/bean/bacon/cheddar mix all around it. Cover each with remaining cheese.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place stuff peppers spaced around the sheet.
- Place on a center rack in the preheated oven for 45 minutes; The peppers should be wilted and the cheese melted. If you want crispy tops, turn on the broiler for just a few minutes but watch it carefully.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.