Grilled Asparagus Wraps
This one came to me on its own. I was preparing for our 45th Wedding Anniversary Dinner. I recently updated it for my 48th Wedding Anniversary. This dish was invented to fill the need for a unique side dish for a this very special steak dinner.
1 bunch of Asparagus, cleaned and trimmed of woody ends
1 bunch of Scallions, cleaned and trimmed
2 Tbs good olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Bleu Cheese Dressing
- In a small bowl mix, olive oil, garlic and Balsamic until emulsified.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Or preheat one side of the grill. It is possible to grill these but the bundles have a tendency to fall apart with too much handing. Grilling adds flavor and texture tough to match in the oven but you have to be careful and diligent.
- Assemble the wraps with bacon slices and cooking string to hold them together while cooking. The thickness of the wraps will vary depending on the size of the spears and scallions. Thinner is better and takes less time.
- If you do this on the grill – Place wraps cross ways on the hot side of the grill long enough to get the char you like. Flip once and then move charred wraps to cool side of the grill and allow to cook through ~15-20 minutes depending on the grill and size of wraps.
- You can do this in the oven. Lay the bundles on a cookie sheet and brush on oil and vinegar mix. Salt and pepper to taste. Place cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake ~ 20 minutes or until veggies and bacon are cooked). When the bacon is done and the veggies have softened remove from the oven. Keep warm until ready to plate.
- Plate with bleu cheese dressing drizzled over the top of bundle or on the side and sprinkle with smoked paprika.