This dish started out from one of Sam The Cooking Guy’s (STCG) ideas about Grilled Pork. I thought at the time, “that would be good on just about anything you grilled..” and so it goes. Of course, I tweaked it to taste, mo betta”.
As you can see from this picture, there is nothing sacred about about the selection of veggies. Zucchini or other squashes, scallions, corn, broccoli, tomatoes or mushrooms could all be cooked the same way using this recipe with excellent results. This version fed 5 of us with no left overs.
1 lb nice Asparagus spears with tough ends trimmed
1 large red pepper. cleaned and sliced into 1 inch slices
1 large green pepper. cleaned and sliced into 1 inch slices
1 large red onion, sliced into 3/8 slices
1 bunch of those nice multicolored carrots with the leaves still attached; trimmed, cleaned and peeled
4 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/2 lb unsalted butter
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Tbs Key Lime Juice
2 Tbs minced garlic
2 tbs Rosemary, fresh chopped is “mo bette” but dried works
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Course ground black pepper
- Prepare the seasoning mix in a small sauce pan, whisk together the mustard, butter and key lime juice until butter is melted and the basting sauces is smooth. Mix in garlic, rosemary, thyme, garlic salt and pepper. Set aside and them hug it out while you get the veggies and grill set.
- Preheat grill on high till that bad boy has burned off all of the old stuff and is getting ready to glow.
- Brush all sides of veggies with basting sauce.
- Reduce heat on grill to medium/low. Arrange veggies across grill. Get a nice set of grill marks and slight char. Turn and brush on basting sauce. Close the grill cover and cook for ~15 minutes. Checking and turning as needed,
- Continue grilling until all veggies are charred and tender (this will vary based up on the thickness of the veggies some may have to be removed before others).
- Brush on basting sauce and serve hot. (or you can chill them, chop and serve as salad with some croutons, feta, good olive oil and a balsamic but that is another story!)