Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
This is da real deal bra! I love my mom’s flavor-rich macaroni salad, but there is something compelling about this simpler island version. I almost always use avocado or olive oil-based mayo but not for this dish.
1 lbs macaroni
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 carrots shredded
1/4 cup onion shredded (optional)
2 1/2 cups Mayonnaise Best Foods or Hellman’s mayonnaise (no substitutes!)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tsp sug
salt substitute and pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients prior to starting.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain well and place macaroni in a large bowl
- While macaroni is still hot, sprinkle on vinegar and add carrot and onion. Toss together until well combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until cooled
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together mayo, milk, and sugar. Fold the mayo mixture into the macaroni until all the noodles are evenly coated. Add salt substitute and pepper to taste
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (best if overnight). Gently stir before serving, add a little more milk if needed, no more than a tablespoon or two
Serve with your favorite barbecue and maybe a scoop of sticky rice.