Helen’s Potatoes, V2.0
My watercolor’s instructor asked her friend Hellen for her mashed potatoes recipe. Helen had been making it so long she really didn’t have precise ingredients. I added some bells and whistles of my own device. The results were very tasty. A nice variation that I thought of while cooking this was to pan fry the potato slices in stead of boiling.
5-7 Russet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced in to 3/8in slices
8 oz of cream cheese, softened
8 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1 tsp Tajin spice
t tsp Garlic powder
Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes. If you like your potatoes more like scolloped potatoes, drain when potatoes are still somewhat firm, if you want fully mashed potatoes boil until softened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, butter, scallions, garlic powder and potatoes Add milk in small increments until the desired consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish, sprinkle Tajin on top, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for ~20 minutes or until bubbling,
- Remove foil and add Pepper Jack not top and return to the over for another ~10 until the cheese is fully melted and just starting to brown.
Serve hot with your favorite main course.