Herby Crispy Game Hens
If you would like to put an elegant meal on the table for a special occasion, you cannot go wrong with this dish. My brother and I always had our own bird but most enjoy just a half. Roasting the veggies in the same pan is efficient and tasty.
2-3 Cornish hens about 1.5 pounds each
3 tablespoons olive oil divided
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary crushed
½ teaspoon lemon zest
¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
½ teaspoon Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
kosher salt and course ground black pepper to taste
1 lbs. potatoes (Yukon or Idaho) cut bite sized
2 carrots chopped bite sized
1 onion chopped (or a bag of frozen pearl onions)
! cup green, red or yellow pepper, sliced
some fresh rosemary and/or thyme for presentation
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt & pepper to taste (add extra herbs if you’d like).
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and herbs in a small bowl. Brush hens with olive oil mixture. Twist wings to tuck under the bird.
- Place hens in a large casserole dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the ends and place in the oven. Reduce heat to 400°F.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or just until hens reach 165°F with a thermometer and vegetables are tender. (Ensure the thermometer does not touch the bone.)
- Remove from the oven and loosely tent with foil for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut hens in half using kitchen scissors and serve.