It’s “Flied Lice, You Plick!”
I was hankering for some good ole Uncle Benny’s homemade fried rice and started doing some research (Google Search). I heard of a vegetarian variation (no dead body) which include a very flavorful 1/2 cup or so of chopped Kimchi. I haven’t tried it yet but it sounded very tasty.
Pssst! Use cold, from the fridge, rice, Or you will be solly!
3 Tbs butter, divided
2 eggs, whisked
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup optional dead body (beef, pork, chicken, shrimp) diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
3.5 cups cooked and chilled Jasmine rice
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce, or more to taste and color
2 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Cook rice and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before step 5.
- Heat 1/2 Tbs of butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Remove egg, and set aside,
- Add an additional 1 Tbs butter to the pan and add carrots, onion, peas and garlic, optional dead body (diced) and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft.
- Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 Tbs of butter, and add the rice, green onions, soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using), and stir until combined.
- Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice.
- Add in the eggs and combine mix well till heated. Remove from heat, and stir in the sesame oil until combined.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.