Key Lime Pie – The Way That I Like It
Now, I believe there are just 2 kinds of people in this old world we live in. People who love Key Lime Pie and those that haven’t evolved far enough just yet. So chances are if you want to make someone happy, a nice piece of Key Lime Pie would be a good place to start. But if you want them to love you forever and a week, you have to go the extra distance and make them a Key Lime Pie. The thing is you got to keep the secret.
Stand up, face towards the nearest bottle of good quality Scotch and repeat after me, “ I, say your name right here, do solemnly swear not to tell anyone ever just how easy it is to make a really, really great Key Lime Pie. So help me!” OK then, here you go.
1/2 cup – Nelly and Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice
1 – 9in store bought Gram Cracker Crust (you can make this yourself but just go buy one! )
1 – Can (14oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 – Egg Yolks (there is a very cool YouTube Video showing how you can use an empty plastic water bottle to separate egg yolks from the whites – but how you do it is up to you). Discard whites
1 Key Lime – Sliced into 8 thin slices
1 Can of Whipped Cream (Pressurized)
1 tsp of finely chopped or grated walnuts or hazel nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine lime juice, milk and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into the gram cracker pie crust
- Place pie on cookie sheet in the over for 15 minutes
- After it comes out of the over, let pie cool for 15-30 minutes before refrigerating.
- Just before you serve,frost the pie with Whipped Cream and slice your pieces, Garnish with Key Lime Slices and grated nuts.
- Eat Pie and know that life is good.
P.S. Any similarity between this recipe and the one on the back of the Nelly and Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice is purely coincidental.