Leftover Ham Magic
We had a smoked ham for Easter dinner that provided a considerable amount of flavorful leftovers. Most of my recipes come from others with my variations but I woke up thinking of this dish.
1.5 cups of leftover ham, diced
12 artichoke hearts, rough chopped
3 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1/2 Poblano pepper, sliced thin and cut into 2 inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, diced
1/4 tsp of ground or grated nutmeg
2 Tbs of capers, drained
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup Chicken broth
1 lbs package of microwaveable golden potatoes, cooked and quartered
1 lbs of Tagliatelle or Pappardelle or any ribbon pasta you like
1 Tbs key lime juice
1 tsp of smoked paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients before beginning.
- Bring 2 of the Tbs of butter to foam in a large saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add onions, capers and peppers and cook until they soften but not browned
- Add artichoke hearts and garlic..stirring to warm and fragrant; Add chicken broth;
- Add cubed ham and wine; stirring gently; add potatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and gently stir in heavy cream and sour cream while cooking pasta.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and cook pasta to taste (I like al dente) and drain pasta reserving 1 cup of pasta water;
- In a large bowl, add cooked pasta; stirring in the last tablespoon of butter
- Add key lime juice and nutmeg to the sauce; taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Mix sauce into pasta adding pasta water as needed to get the consistency you like.
- Sprinkle the smoked paprika on top and serve.