Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
I have become one of those guys who rise to the challenge of making a menu for any given night based upon, what is defrosted or on sale and then trying to find a creative way to cook it. This one of those deals and we all loved it! Chicken Tenders were on sale and so it goes…
3 – 4 chicken fillets, cut in 1-inch cubes
3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow or red), bite-sized chunks
1 pablano pepper bite-sized chunks
8-16 grape tomatoes (optional)
8-16 Mushroom caps, washed with stems removed
1 red or yellow onion, bite-sized chunks
Chicken Kebab marinade
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbs Key Lime juice
5 clove of garlic, chopped
2 tsp each paprika, thyme, and coarse ground pepper
4 tsp each oregano and salt
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade in small bowl. Place chicken and veggies in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over it. Marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- If you are using wood skewers, while the chicken and veggies are marinating, soak the skewers in water for about 15 minutes. You need to soak wooden skewers in water for about 20- 30 minutes to keep them from igniting right there on the grill.
- Thread the chicken and peppers and onions on the skewers. I usually start with a mushroom cap place about 5-6 chicken pieces and a combo of peppers and onion in between and end with a mushroom cap
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill to very hot, set it for indirect grilling putting the skewers on the side not under flame or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray the grates lightly with oil and grill for about 5 – 10 minutes on each side, or until internal temp hits 165.
- You can also bake this Mediterranean chicken skewers in the oven if you want to. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place chicken skewers on roasting racks over two foil-lined baking sheets and bake for about 10-15 minutes/per side, or until they are baked through.
Sever hot over rice with lime wedges. I have also enjoyed drizzling Caesars or Ranch or Bleu Cheese dressing over the skewers before serving.