Mississippi Mud Roast
Who knew that this was a thing!? My son Sean hooked me up with this simple slow cooker recipe so I had to try it. I did not tweak this one other than to use dairy and salt substitutes due to local dietary considerations.
3-5 lbs Chuck Roast
1 packet – Brown Gravy Mix (or Lipton Onion Mix or Au jus gravy mix depending on your tolerance for Salt)
1 packet – Ranch Dressing Mix
1/4 lbs of unsalted butter (or equivalent)
1 16oz jar of Pepperoncini peppers and juice
- Place thawed Chuck Roast in a slow cooker (no need to brown)
- Sprinkle Ranch Dressing packet over roast.
- Sprinkle the Brown Gravy packet over roast
- Cover with a jar of Peperoncini and juices
- Add cold butter or equivalent on top of the roast
- Cover and slow cook on low for 8-10 hours ( you can go a bit crazy with additions around hour 6 – mushroom, carrots & onions (sliced or pearl) would all seem to be good adds)
- Shred meat with 2 forks, discarding any fat. If you want a thicker gravy, make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water and mix in slowly.
- Serve hot over your favorite conveyance of goodness – hoagies, sliders, favorite rice or noodles or my fav, mashed taters.