Mom’s Potato Salad
My mom made THE BEST potato salad! I think her friends would invite us to cookouts just to get some more. I loved the basic version but have been known to stray a bit with some options
2 lb. potatoes – Russet, Golden or baby red potatoes, peeled if needed and cut bite-sized.
1/2 cup or 2 stalks of celery, diced
1 Green Pepper,
6 eggs, hard-boiled, diced
1 onion, diced
1/3 cup sweet relish
1.5 cups Mayo (we use avocado mayo)
Salt substitute and coarse ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp Tajin spice
Mustard – nasty yellow or dijon or both
6 strips of crispy smoked bacon, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup tamed jalapeños, roughly chopped
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until fork tender, about 15 minutes (Do not overcook unless you desire potato salad soup).
- Drain and rinse under cold water, then transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temp.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients except the smoked paprika and gently mix them together.
- Add mixture to cooled potatoes and mix gently and well.
- Taste for salt substitute and pepper. Add as needed
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, dust the top of the salad with the smoked paprika.