Mongolian Beef and Broccoli
I was surfing the net one day and discovered this unique recipe. The texture of Mongolian Beef done well is special and this site got that .. they called the beef texture “velveting” and showed how to achieve it. Three steps – Marinade – Make the sauce and Stir Fry, Yum
2 lbs beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs soy sauce*
1 Tbs Shaoxing (Chinese) wine**
2 Tbs cornstarch (corn flour)
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (important. See Notes)*
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
2 Tbs hoisin sauce (optional BUT adds incredible flavour)
1 Tbs oyster sauce
3/4 Tbs ground white pepper (or 1-2 teaspoons red chili powder)
1/4 cup oil (avocado oil, coconut oil or ghee)
2 tsp sesame oil
8 cloves (or 4 tablespoons) garlic, minced
1/2 Tbs minced ginger
1 Broccoli , cut into florets
2 heads of Bok Choy, roughly chopped
8 oz of Mushrooms, sliced
4 green onion / scallion stems , thinly sliced
1 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water (corn flour)
- Whenever I do any kind of asian cooking, I prepare everything in advance beforehand,
- Whisk marinade ingredients together until well combined. Marinate the beef slices for 30 minutes to an hour (The more marinading, the more tender the meat will be).
- While beef is marinating, whisk together the sauce ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok over medium heat with the 1/4 cup of oil. When oil is hot, stir-fry the marinated beef in batches(don’t crowd the wok) until they are just crisp on the edges (~2 minutes), Remove the meat, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible , and set aside.
- Heat up the sesame oil in the wok with any remaining oil, and stir-fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the vegetables and stir fry until they are vibrant in color and just tender.
- Add the beef back into the wok with the prepared sauce. Simmer in the sauce until the beef slices are cooked through (~2 minutes);
- Add the con starch mixture and the sliced green onions. Cook for a further minute or until the sauce thickens, wile stirring quickly.