My Shepherds Pie
I saw this kind of innovation (not covered in mashed taters) somewhere and decided I could take it to the next level. Anyway here is my attempt. I have had this simple British dish when I visited but always thought it was more filling and comforting than tasty. I like the additional flavors and crunchiness.
1 Tbs olive oil
5 slices of bacon, chopped
1 2lbs bag Tatar Tots, frozen
2 cloves garlic. minced
1/2 cup each onion, celery and carrots, diced small
1 pablano pepper, diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms, washed
1 lbs lean ground beef
1 bunch(3) of fresh beets, r 1 cup frozen; peeled and diced
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 cup of broth (chicken or beef)
1/4 cup wheat or white flour
1 Tbs of Cholula sauce
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 8.5 ox can of sweet peas
1 cup grated cheddar, Optional
Salt substitute and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon and cook till crispy. Remove from pan and add oil.
- When the oil shimmers,, add celery and carrots, cook till softened
- Add onion and mushrooms. mix and cook till onions are translucent. Add garlic. Move veggies to the sides of the pan
- Add ground beef to the center of the pan. Break into small pieces, stir and cook until almost done. Stir in chopped beets (or turnips) and tomato paste and stir until fully mixed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once ground beef is almost cooked, sprinkle in flour and mix thoroughly. Keep starring while flour is broken down and the raw taste of the flour is gone.
- Add bacon, Worcestershire and Cholula sauce. Mix well and add broth. Stir until the mixture thickens. remove from heat. Taste and add salt substitute and pepper. as needed.
- Pour filling into an ungreased baking dish, mix in peas and spread evenly. Cheddar Option: sprinkle 1/2 cup over filling and then after adding tots, sprinkle remaining cheddar.
- Place in the middle rack of your oven and bake for 30=40 minutes. This will cook everything through. Switch oven to high broil for 1-2 minutes to make your tots crispy
- Serve hot