Potatoes Au Gratin
This dish is so tasty and easy, I really don’t understand why most people have only had it in restaurants or from one of those Betty Crocker boxes. This makes a tasty side dish for 4-5 people and is scalable if need be.
5-7 Medium to large Russet potatoes ( I usually use 1.5 potatoes per person and have left overs that are yummy)
3 Tbs Butter
3 Tbs Flour
1.5 cups of milk
1..5 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (you can use about any cheese but I like cheddar)
1/2 large Spanish onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Thinly slice 1/8-1/4 inch thick) potatoes
- Thinly slice 1/4 in thick onion
- In a fairly shallow baking dish, layer potatoes about 1/2 way full followed by onion rings, then add the remainder of potatoes until the dish is full.
- In a shallow frying pan on medium heat, melt the butter
- Add flour and whisk until bubbly yellow and thick
- Whisk in milk and keep stirring until you notice it just start to thicken and bubble
- Using a spoon, stir in the grated cheese until completely melted (40-60 seconds
- Remove from heat and pour or spoon over potatoes in the dish.
- Shake the dish to get the thick liquid to settle down into the lower layers
- Place baking dish in the middle of the middle rack of the over and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and twenty minutes until cheese coating is browned and potatoes are soft.
- Remove from over and let rest for 10 ,minutes and serve with main course.