Potsticker Egg Drop Soup
Apparently, I went into a potsticker shopping frenzy or something a month ago, but while looking for something in the freezer I found we had 3 packages of potstickers to consume. We all love potstickers but too much of the same good thing… Anyway, i came up with this variation which includes some other favorites. Its very simple, quick and tastey.
1 24oz package of Traders Joes’ frozen chicken or pork potstickers, defrosted
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock: Either will do.
3 Tbs cornstarch
pinch of ground ginger and garlic powder
3 large eggs, scrambled
1/2 tsp Sesame oil
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, divided
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp white pepper
- Whisk a little (~1/2 cup) room temp stock with cornstarch together to make a slurry to make sure the cornstarch dissolves completely before adding to stock. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a large measuring cup until they are well scrambled, set aside.
- Bring the stock to a simmer: Stirring occasionally. Add garlic powder, white pepper and ground ginger
- Start stirring the stock round and round to create a slow “whirlpool”. Then gradually drizzle in the slurry as you continue to stir the stock. Don’t let the cornstarch sink the to bottom; Tis is good practice for when you let the egg drop.
- Start stirring the stock round and round to create a slow “whirlpool”. Then gradually drizzle in the eggs as you continue to stir the stock.
- Stir in the sesame oil, soy sauce, 1/2 of the green onions and mushrooms until combined.
- Add potstickers and bring soup to a low t boil for 3- 5 minutes until potstickers are warmed through.
Serve warm with remaining green onions as garnish