Sausage Biscuit Casserole
I stumbled across the the start of this recipe looking for cooking time for some biscuits I had already put in the pan and tossed the wrapper for. To me, this sounds just like a huge pile of Southern comfort food.
1 lbs Turkey breakfast sausage
2 Tbs butter substitute
1/2 onion halved and sliced thin
1/2 cup Tamed Jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 cups milk
1 16oz package of your favorite ready-made store-bought biscuits – separate each biscuit and cut it into 4 pieces
Salt substitute and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients prior to starting.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage for 5 minutes over medium heat and add onions and peppers. Keep stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned and onions are clear (~5 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage mix to the baking dish.
- Add butter to drippings in skillet; melt over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened and beginning to brown. Stir in milk; heat to simmering, stirring frequently. Cook and stir for 1 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Thickened gravy is better but if yours is too thick add a little more milk . Pour gravy over the sausage mix in the dish.
- Top sausage mixture with biscuit pieces.
- Place the baking dish on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the biscuits are a golden brown on top
Serve immediately with your favorite style of eggs or just on its own with some hot sauce.