Sausage Mushroom Polenta
This one of those disconnected things. It started weeks ago when I stumbled over a polenta dish that caught my eye. I should warn you that I have never eaten of cooked polenta before but I thought this might be fun. The polenta had the interesting effect of making the other stuff better. It is all about texture because I could detect no flavor from the polenta. As a dish it was good.
1-2 tubes of polenta, sliced
2 Tbs good olive oil
1 pkg of sweet Italian sausage, sliced
1 pkg of hot Italian sausage, sliced
1 small yellow onion rough chopped
1 pablano pepper rough chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbs basil
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can fire roasted dice tomatoes
- Lightly spray the polenta with cooking spray and salt/pepper both sides. Pre-heat grill to very hot.
- Shut off half the grill. Place slice polenta on the unlit part of the grill for 2 minutes per side .. just to get them hot and grill marked. Set aside
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add olive oil. When oil is shimmering add sausage, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cover and stir frequently until veggies are clear and limp and sausage is browned. ~9 ,minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil and stir well until mixture is heated through.
- Serve hot over polenta slices.
Sprinkle parmesan on top of each serving.