Seriously Serious Broccoli
My Granddaughter has always been crazy about broccoli, everybody else, less so. I wanted to do a really good broccoli side dish, did some research on line and came up with this roasted one.
2-3 heads of fresh broccoli (4-5 lbs)
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, sliced or minced and divided
4 Tbs of good olive oil
2 Tbs of butter
1 Tbs lemon zest
2 Tbs lemon juice (~2 lemons worth)
1 Tbs capers drained.
1/3 Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut, wash and dry broccoli. You should have between 5-6 cups of broccoli florets cut to the same approximate size. Toss florets with 4 tbs olive oil, 2 of the garlic cloves and salt and pepper to taste ( ~1/2 tsp each).
- Place broccoli in a single layer on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper and put in oven on a middle rack for 15-25 minutes until stems pierce easily and tips of the florets are starting to brown.
- In a small sauce pan on medium/low heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms, the rest of the garlic, capers and cook for ~10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked. Keep warm and set aside.
- Transfer broccoli to a bowl, stir in mushroom mix and add lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve hot.