Slow Cooker Caribbean Coconut Beef Curry
I have spent some time in the islands over the past 40 years. Part of it wears a Navy uniform and the rest wears the tourist uniform. During my working career, whenever something went right and I needed to celebrate, I found myself a Caribbean island to visit. Now admittedly, most of my island meals were seafood but sometimes I would sneak some chicken, pork or beef in as well. My first attempt at this recipe was good but far too complicated and wouldn’t work for most working folks so I updated it. I was able to simplify the recipe. I think it has become something you could put together before work and enjoy when you got home.
2 lbs stew beef cut into bite-sized pieces (< 2-inch chunks)
1 Tbs minced ginger
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1/3 cup Key Lime Juice
1 medium onion diced
1 small Pablano pepper, diced
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 tsp each – dried thyme. smoked paprika, Allspice, and Tajin
2 13.5- ounce cans of unsweetened coconut milk
3 Tbs curry spice/powder
1-2 cup water (adjust to the desired consistency, less = gravy like/more = soupy )
2 bay leaves
1Tbs tomato paste
1 scotch bonnet pepper, washed, de-seeded and chopped fine or 1/3 cup tamed jalapeños + 1 Tbs hot sauce
2 lbs potatoes or more peeled cut into medium pieces (Yukon Gold)
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Season beef well with salt, Tajin, and allspice. Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides and place in slow cooker.
- Drain skillet except for approximately 1Tbs of liquid. Reduce heat to medium. Add butter, onions, Pablano, garlic, thyme, peppers, and/or hot sauce and ginger. Scraping the brown bits from the pan, cook till onions are clear, ~5 minutes
- Stir in curry powder, and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to stick to the pan. Add coconut milk, water, bay leaves, paprika, and tomato paste and cook for ~ 2 minutes
- Add Key Lime juice, potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms to the crockpot and mix in a skillet mixture.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours. Check carrots or potatoes for doneness.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve in bowls as a stew or over rice as a curry depending upon the consistency you chose to make.