Standing Rib Roast
This process produces a wonderful dish that serves 5-6 hungry carnivores.
8 lbs-10 lbs Standing Rib Roast (3-4 bone)
2 Tbs coarse ground pepper
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
4 Tbs butter
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Remove roast from refrigerator and let warm to room temp (you can complete steps 2-5 at any time before the roast is at room temp but do not put roast in the oven until it has warmed to room temp)
- Wash and dry roast; make 1/2 in cuts on all sides of the roast
- Whisk dry rub ingredients together
- Rub butter on both ends of roast
- Rub dry rub on all sides of the roast getting into the cuts made earlier
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place roast (bones down) in the center a raised rack roasting pan and place pan in the center of the middle shelf in the oven. Set timer for 15 minutes
- When timer goes off, reduce oven temp to 325F.
- Cook for 2 hours (time may vary for final cooking depending upon personal tastes). Start checking the internal temperature.
- When internal temps reach 145F in the center the roast will be reddish in the middle graduating from pink to grey on the end pieces.
- Remove from the oven, place roast on platter and cover with foil and let rest 20-30 min.
Sharpen knife, slice and serve with a nice creamy horseradish sauce.