Stuffed, Wrapped and Smothered Sausages
This is another wrapped recipe that came to me in a dream. I had tried another Polish sausage recipe earlier that I thought was unworthy. I guess it was on my mind one night at bedtime and I figured this one out by morning. I hope that you like it.
8 Polish Sausages
4 scallions. sliced length-size
1/2 cup of Tamed Jalapeños. sliced in 1/2 slices
8 slices of good hickory-smoked bacon
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Options for sandwiches as shown above: Grilled onions and/or green peppers; toasted buns
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice sausages length-wise without cutting them in half.
- Lay 1/2 scallion in the cut and then press the half slices of jalapeño on top covering the incision.
- Wrap the bacon around one end covering the slice and wrap the sausage completely. Fasten the bacon to the sausage with toothpicks. Place stuffed and wrapped sausage on parchment paper.
- Repeat with the other 7 sausages
- After all the sausages are arranged on the parchment paper, place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Or until the bacon is crisp to your satisfaction.
- Remove from the oven and change the settings to broil.
- Drain the bacon grease as much as possible or mop it up with paper towels if you prefer. Make the paper as dry as you can.
- Distribute the cheddar smothering cheese equally over the sausages. Sprinkle any leftover jalapeño slices over the smothered sausages.
- Place un over under the broiler to finish the dish. Remove when the cheese has melted to your satisfaction.
- If you elected for the sandwich service, remove toothpicks, place sausage in the bun don’t forget the melted cheese), add mustard, and serve. OR just serve hot on a plate with your favorite mustard, fries, and salad.