Sweet & Spicy Grilled Chicken
This one started with something Rachel Ray put together. It sounded tasty but of course, I had to make it my own. “R – squared” prefers boneless, skinless thighs, I like to use bone-in and skin-on chicken but it is your call. It is better to get the larger – finger sized asparagus for this dish. The sweet and spicy with the asparagus is a nice combination of flavors and textures. Left overs make great sandwiches too.
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 Tbs tamari (dark soy sauce) or liquid amino
3 Tbs aged balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs honey or agave
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp Key Lime juice
8 – 12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
1 lbs medium to large asparagus, ends trimmed or peeled
Scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle
Harissa thinned with olive oil, or Sriracha, for drizzling
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, tamari (or liquid amino), balsamic, honey (or agave), garlic, red pepper, lemon zest and juice. Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high. Place the chicken in the bowl with the sauce and let marinate for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- In a large, deep skillet, bring 1 inch water to a boil and cook the asparagus for 2 minutes. Shock the asparagus in ice water and drain well.
- Grill the chicken for 12 minutes, turning occasionally; transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Grill the asparagus to mark evenly, 3 to 5 minutes. Layer the asparagus then add the chicken
- Top with the scallions. Drizzle with harissa (or sriracha) sauce and serve.